[linux-audio-dev] XAP: Ansynchronous Streaming Protocol

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Fri Dec 13 11:34:00 UTC 2002

On Friday 13 December 2002 15.29, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 03:04:18 +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> > Actually, it may not be all that hairy after all. Consider these
> > events:
>
> It sounds a bit complex to be,

Well, that's asynchronous communication for you... (And this isn't
even including QoS, which you should have in any RT system doing this
kind of stuff.)

> it could just be done using binary
> events without explicit support in the API. Best to keep the API a
> simple as possible I think.

Yeah - but the problem with having this *completely* outside the API
is that people will start reinventing the wheel in various,
incompatible ways. I'd much rather provide a standard framework for
the basic services needed, much like the host provides memory and
audio buffer allocation features.

Anyway, what made me consider this is the Linuxsampler project, which
(to me) demonstrates that it may make a lot of sense to be able to
split the waveform loading/streaming from the actual sampleplayer.
Both are pretty generic units that could be reused - but only if
there is a common interface for their interaction.