[linux-audio-dev] XAP status : incomplete draft

Tim Hockin thockin at hockin.org
Fri Dec 13 14:36:38 UTC 2002

> This should not be allowed, if you want to run the instrument at a
> different rate, reinstantiate it.

This makes the API simpler (one less function call).  Are there any
drawbacks to it?  Or conversely, are there any drawback to having a
set_rate() method which is only ever called from the inactive state?  It
seems that if a host wants to change rate, re-instantiating everything is
overkill, if it knows it is in a safe state..

> Agreed. I think tis less confusing to have to indicate that a plugin /is/
> deterministic though.
>
> Don't do what ladspa did though and mix together RT safe-ness and
> determinicity (is that a real word?).

Clarify?  Are you suggesting I change RTFL_SLOW to RTFL_NDETERM?  Keep in
mind these are per-control flags.

> > ...and the optional "NOTE_PITCH" that no one will ever use, of
> > course. ;-)
>
> And many of us still think doesn't belong in the API... :)

I've completely ignored the pitch thread.  I'll get there.  I just have a
job during the day (which I already am abusing to read all you guys' emails
- 30 last night! :)