[linux-audio-dev] XAP status : incomplete draft

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Dec 14 10:19:01 UTC 2002

On Sat, Dec 14, 2002 at 03:35:41 +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> > Er, well, most people will just let the host do the wiring for
> > them. So it will all work fine.
>
> ...as long as they put the plugins in the right order.

Well you will almost allways use a external device -> pitch converter, so
you cant get it into the wrong order. Anyone whos capable of comosing in
more that one scale at once is alos capable of placing a few modules.

> Running linear pitch with a scale applied into a plugin that expects
> <something>/note is not a mismatch? So, how is that plugin going to
> figure out what pitch in the input corresponds to which note in the
> scale?

No plugins expect something per note. All of the expect to receive pitch,
if ther are designed for ET they can calculate the note fomr the pitch
trivially. You have to tell them what scale youre using (or they could be
12tET only).

> > It wont need explaining, its blatatly obvious, unlike if you have
> > pitch and note pitch when its not obvious if they will be
> > compatible or not (even to the host).
>
> I don't see how it's blatantly obvious that things will work if you
> put the plugins in one order, whereas it will not work at all if you
> put them in some other order.

The order is irrelevant.

Realisticly you only need to convert from notes to pitch at the input
stage, once it in the system you will be fine just processing the pitch
data.

If you really, really want to convert from one source of note numbering to
two seperate scales you do the equivalent function with pitch mappers (we
discussed this a few days back, I think you agreed that it was easier to
do the processing on pitch data, rather than skewed scales anyway).

Any modules that want to do note based processing for ET scales can do it
just by being told now many notes per octave there are (just like with
note representations) and note based processing for non-ET scales is
still hard, but probably not neccesary. I'm not away of any non-ET scale
where you could, eg. arpegiate without knowing a lot more than just the
number of the note in the scale.

- Steve