[linux-audio-dev] XAP: a polemic

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Dec 14 19:16:01 UTC 2002

On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 12:25:46 +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> Well, I don't exactly know Objective C, but I've read up on the
> basics, for reasons I can't remember... (Probably to see if it was
> the "C++ done right" I was looking for. In that case, it was not,
> because the contructs are *higher* level; not lower.)

Yes, that was my conclusion too. Its much cleaner than c++, but its pretty
slow. I'm quite supprised that Apple went for it for DSP code.

There are ways of speeding up the message passing, but the're pretty
ugly, and they dont solve it 100%. My current prefered solution is OO style
C, which is pretty clean, but doesn't give you inheritnace and a few other
things, which would be nice.

- Steve