[linux-audio-dev] XAP: a polemic

David Gerard Matthews dgm4+ at pitt.edu
Sat Dec 14 19:48:01 UTC 2002

Steve Harris wrote:

>On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 12:25:46 +0100, David Olofson wrote:
>
>>Well, I don't exactly know Objective C, but I've read up on the
>>basics, for reasons I can't remember... (Probably to see if it was
>>the "C++ done right" I was looking for. In that case, it was not,
>>because the contructs are *higher* level; not lower.)
>>

>Yes, that was my conclusion too. Its much cleaner than c++, but its pretty
>slow. I'm quite supprised that Apple went for it for DSP code.

I'm pretty sure that Apple adopted it just to be different/moderately
incompatible.  They like to trumpet
OSX's Unix kernel, and the fact that Unix apps port to OSX pretty
easily, but the coding style and
development tools and techniques they encourage seem to be  pretty un-Unix.
OTOH, I certainly couldn't write Obj C code, but it doesn't seem to be
too hard to read if you're familiar
with C and C++.
-dgm