[linux-audio-dev] XAP: a polemic

David Gerard Matthews dgm4+ at pitt.edu
Sun Dec 15 10:40:01 UTC 2002

Paul Davis wrote:

>>>We've been talking about 'TEMPO' and 'TRANSPORT' and 'TICKS' and 'METER'
>>>controls, which (honestly) kind of turns my stomach.  This is not what
>>>controls are meant to be doing.  the answer strikes me in shadowy details:
>>>
>>>Each host struct has a timeline member.  Plugins register with the host for
>>>notification of ceratin things:
>>>host->register_time_event(plugin, event, function);
>>>events:
>>>  TIME_TICKS	// call me on every tick edge
>>>  TIME_TRANSPORT  // call me when a transport happens
>>>  TIME_METER  // call me when the meter changes
>>>

>this is the best suggestion so far. i love callbacks. note that
>"meter" includes both tempo and time signature. you knew that, though.
>i can't see anyone wanting to use TIME_TICKS.
>
>--p

Callbacks do make sense here, I agree.  You never know about the ticks,
though.  In film scoring, it's not uncommon
 to nudge things around a tick or two here or there to enable audio
events to sync up with the picture.  I can see wanting
 to chase audio on every tick in some very high resolution contexts like
that.
-dgm