[linux-audio-dev] XAP: a polemic

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Sun Dec 15 15:12:01 UTC 2002

On Sunday 15 December 2002 18.05, Tim Goetze wrote:
> me wrote:
> >central authority over tempo and time. the idea of sending
> >tempo change events is, i'm afraid, another sign of some
> >lack in understanding sequencers.
>
> allow me to correct myself: there are in fact applications
> that need this (rhythmn-based audio delays). it is a very
> special case though.

I'm quite sure it's not *that* special - and either way, it certainly
has to be supported.

> the idea i wanted to get understood is
> that plugins don't need to keep track of time and tempo.

So, why force them...?

Plugins that don't keep track of time and tempo can just ignore all
about timestamps and timelines, except for one thing: They can
compare timestamps directly to sample counts, when they implement
sample accurate processing. (And that is not really optional, IMHO,
although you can still implement block based timing pretty trivially
if you're lazy.)