[linux-audio-dev] XAP: a polemic

Tim Hockin thockin at hockin.org
Sun Dec 15 20:27:01 UTC 2002

> tim h. had written:
>
> >>Standing proposal:
> >> Host processes blocks of 'n' samples.  Events are delivered with a
> >> timestamp that says 'actuate this event at this time within this buffer'.
>
> sounds fine, except that there are some difficult cases to handle at a
> higher level. consider "actuate this event when get the following
> point in the music", delivered when we are looping, and have already
> passed that point in the music, yet its within the loop. the event
> needs to be delivered at a point which is now in the *past*, yet will
> soon be in the *future*!

but a plugin would never receive an event that said 'actuate this event at
this musical time'.  Plugin-external events (i.e. from the sequencer) would
ALWAYS be related to the current buffer.  Plugin internal events (for lack
of a better word) can be either 'do this in N samples' or 'do this in M
ticks' (where tick-width is calculated from tempo and rate).  Alternatively,
if we have some sort of keyframe mechanism (TOCK events?) it could also
periodically sync to the host clock, but I am not sure that is needed.