[linux-audio-dev] XAP: a polemic

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Sun Dec 15 21:30:00 UTC 2002

On Monday 16 December 2002 03.06, Paul Davis wrote:
> >> by definition, time isn't flowing when the transport is
> >> stopped. a delay in stationary time can only be a zero
> >
> >umm, I know that a requirement for me is to be able to stop the
> > sequencer, and still play MIDI and have delay lines etc still
> > delay.  Are you saying that this can't be done in your model?  In
> > my opinion just because transport has stopped does NOT mean time
> > has stopped.  On the contrary, ticks are still happening, the
> > tempo is still in effect.  Just because the SEQUENCER stopped
> > sending events doesn't mean the rest of the studio did.
>
> no, this is wrong. if the transport stops, depending on how you
> define "the transport", then all *musical* time has stopped, at
> least all musical time using the musical timebase controlled by
> "the transport".

Yes.

Still, is the tempo 0, or whatever it is supposed to be at the point
where the transport is holding?

I find it rather useful when the latter is assumed, since it makes
the fact that audio processing continues a lot more useful. You can
still jam on and have tempo and beat sync effects roll, as if you
were looping an empty section in the song. As soon as you start the
sequencer again, though, beat sync effects will instantly lock to the
timeline.