[linux-audio-dev] XAP and JACK

Frank van de Pol fvdpol at home.nl
Mon Dec 16 08:34:01 UTC 2002

On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 08:09:18AM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> also, to repeat the perennial advertisement, if your application has
> no reason to attach itself to a particular audio interface and might
> benefit from being able to route data to/from other applications,
> consider using JACK (http://jackit.sf.net/).

Which reminds me of some earlier thoughs: The whole discussion on XAP is
about the in process plugin model if I'm correct. Why not include an out of
process model like JACK? I suppose a union between JACK/LASDPA/XAP would be
a good thing for the linux audio community.

Of course things like callbacks are not quite handy for out of process
plugins (unless using RPC stuff). I personally like the concept of being
able to run various components in it's own process, it's own protected VM
etc. just for the sake of robustness and ease of debugging.

Frank.

--