[linux-audio-dev] Blockless processing

Simon Jenkins sjenkins at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Dec 16 13:44:00 UTC 2002

*hehe* I offer to shut up and code "unless somebody pokes me with a
sharp stick
or something" and the next thing that happens is:

and Paul Winkler wrote:

>You're confusing things...

No I'm not.

>Steve's quick hack was written in Perl.

I know what it was written in. Its a quick hack of a C fragment pasting
idea which I contributed to a XAP sub-sub-sub-sub-thread about
on-the-fly code generation, so I /have/ been paying attention.

There was some discussion of sfront mixed into the same bit of thread
(this was during the initial XAP frenzy when the list effectively became
a very busy, very lagged IRC channel for a couple of days) but this was
a distinct, though related, idea.

(BTW I know I was probably misrepresenting Perl when I called it a
write-only language. Thats why I added the smiley and made it clear
that I don't use it.)

>Sfront is entirely in C.

The fact that sfront is in C is totally irrelevant.

The fact that it /generates/ C makes it a close relative of the sort of
thing I was talking about (and the work you have done with it for
outputting jack clients makes it an even closer relative). But it doesn't
make it *into* the thing I was talking about.

Anyway, I /was/ talking about it, but now I'm coding it.

Simon Jenkins
(Bristol, UK)