[linux-audio-dev] XAP: a polemic

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Mon Dec 16 20:06:01 UTC 2002

On Monday 16 December 2002 21.50, Paul Davis wrote:
> >ticks are constant per quarter in a sane setup.
>
> well, actually in ardour we discussed this at great length and
> decided that giving quarter notes some kind of special status here
> was a mistake. hence, ticks are constant-per-beat in its tempo
> system.

Well, that makes sense, of course. Who cares about quarter notes, if
the meter explicitly defines a beat as something else?

Next, temo. Beats/second, or whole notes/second? Both make sense in
some ways, but I'm leaning towards beats/second, as that fits nicely
with ticks being related to beats.

Either way, I still think "ticks" should be 1.0 based. That is,
1.0/beat. Why throw some arbitrary value in there, unless we want to
eliminate sample accurate timing by using integer ticks?