[linux-audio-dev] XAP: a polemic

Taybin Rutkin trutkin at physics.clarku.edu
Mon Dec 16 20:11:01 UTC 2002

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Pascal Haakmat wrote:

> I find your exposition on Indian rhythms fascinating and very
> interesting, but I'm afraid I don't see how it relates to a discussion
> about designing musical instruments.
>
> I do not believe that the goal of instrument design should be to
> accomodate every possible musical expression under the sun. A musical
> instrument is always part of a culture and a history and this defines
> its use.

But in this case, they're designing a system for designing instruments.
Such a system should be able to accomodate every possible musical
expression under the sun.

> After all, is it preferable to have a piece of wood with the potential
> to become any kind of instrument, or a guitar?

I like this metaphor because in this case, they're trying to find the most
generally useful peice of wood for as many instruments as possible.

Taybin
--
http://www.piratesvsninjas.com