[linux-audio-dev] XAP: a polemic

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Mon Dec 16 21:29:01 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 17 December 2002 02.41, Tim Goetze wrote:
> David Olofson wrote:
> >On Monday 16 December 2002 21.59, Paul Davis wrote:
> >[...]
> >
> >> so yes, ticks-per-beat is still necessary, but its a constant
> >> (1920 in ardour).
> >
> >I suggest 1.0/beat for XAP. (64 bit double.)
> >
> >One may claim that that's not an exact representation, but who
> > cares, as long as it's much more accurate than what you need for
> > sample accurate timing?
>
> the good thing about 1920 is it is divisible by both 3 and 4;
> this lets both triplets and even sub-beats evaluate to integer
> ticks.

...which get rounded to the nearest integer audio sample frame
anyway, as far as events are concerned.

> now even if you implement ticks as float, it does make
> programming and debugging of tick arithmetics a good deal
> easier.

I don't see why. (On the contrary, there are just more figures to
read. ;-)

> it is a value that should be set by the host, or in turn
> the user, exercising his right to make the choice.

Yes indeed - but I don't see a reason to force every plugin to keep
track of it. Just make it 1.0, and the sequencer can use whatever it
likes internally and/or in the UI.