[linux-audio-dev] XAP: a polemic

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Mon Dec 16 21:35:00 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 17 December 2002 02.47, Tim Goetze wrote:
> David Olofson wrote:
>
> [tempo]
>
> >> choose. quarters simply happen to work well, and there's
> >> no need to break with convention here.
> >
> >Doesn't work very well for 5/8, does it...?
>
> it does:
>
> 5/8 = 2.5 * 1/4

That's what I mean; that doesn't look very logical to me - but either
way, it's just a unit...

> >> thus, forcing another calculation back
> >> from frame units is illogical.
> >
> >The only relevant relation to "seconds" here is that with the
> > audio sample rate - and you have that in common with the
> > sequencer.
>
> you *are* the sequencer because we agree there must be a
> central time authority, don't we?

Now, plugins are part of the sequencer as well? ;-)

Let me rephrase:

	The only relevant relation to "seconds" here, is that
	with the audio sample rate - and plugins have that in
	common with the sequencer.

And by this I mean; the part of the sequencer (no matter how you
implement and structure the rest of it) that runs in the net, is
driven by free running audio time, just like all plugins in the net.