[linux-audio-dev] XAP: a polemic

Tim Goetze tim at quitte.de
Mon Dec 16 22:34:01 UTC 2002

Paul Davis wrote:

>play this kind of music as part of their own culture. i've also heard
>and watched both zakir hussain and v. vikaryam count talas, and
>believe me, they don't do what you propose a musician would do.

i believe they do more or less the same. you only hear the
beats they emphasize, and that's why they call it three and
a half, not seven. it's a little like in western music, you
say it's 3/4 but you might as well say 6/8 -- they only
differ in emphasis, or groove.

>>2) the first time somebody uses 1/3 and 1/4 at the same time,
>>accumulating beat algorithms don't give the same result
>>reliably where they should.
>
>hmm. i'm not sure of this. i'm not entirely clear what you mean by
>these nomenclatures. do you mean "1 beat per measure, beat-note-value
>= a third note" and "1 beat per measure, beat-note-value = a quarter
>note"? or something else.

yes, 1/3 and 1/4 time but it's just one of many examples. if
you don't implement running tick/beat counters in integer,
there are a lot of pitfalls you have to be very careful to
avoid if precision is an objective.

tim