[linux-audio-dev] XAP: a polemic

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Mon Dec 16 22:38:00 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 17 December 2002 03.50, Tim Goetze wrote:
> David Olofson wrote:
> >> the good thing about 1920 is it is divisible by both 3 and 4;
> >> this lets both triplets and even sub-beats evaluate to integer
> >> ticks.
> >
> >...which get rounded to the nearest integer audio sample frame
> >anyway, as far as events are concerned.
>
> but in any sane system built to be precise, you don't truncate
> until really needed, do you?

That's a good point - and we're only talking about a unit for a 64
bit double anyway.

> >> it is a value that should be set by the host, or in turn
> >> the user, exercising his right to make the choice.
> >
> >Yes indeed - but I don't see a reason to force every plugin to
> > keep track of it. Just make it 1.0, and the sequencer can use
> > whatever it likes internally and/or in the UI.
>
> who said a plugin needs to care about it?

Well, if it *changes*, how do you know what "1 beat" is, unless you
involve a factor that you must get from the timeline driver?

I dont't see why it should be *variable*, given that 1920 fits most
useful subdivisions, and that you still have quite a few fractional
bits below that, should you ever need it.

Just make it 1920, and don't worry about it. :-)

> afaik, your plugins
> need only audio frame timings. ;)

Naah - there might be some beat sync ones as well, I think... ;-)