[linux-audio-dev] XAP: What is it for

Tim Goetze tim at quitte.de
Tue Dec 17 10:22:00 UTC 2002

Sami P Perttu wrote:

>> and never even think of using the system to actually
>> produce music.

>That's true, it would require something built on top of it to be musically
>useful.

david is right in saying that we already have ladspa for audio
only i think. if we basically just add sample-accurate events,
we'll need yet another layer/API to deal with the implications
of musical time. i think it is sensible to assume that one API
can be made to handle both; at least i'm running a system that
does to my, arguably subjective, content.

>I'm just concerned that you/we will run out of power with XAP - it
>has some inherent limitations, namely a) it is block-based and b) it is
>causal.

both are very much required by the technical foundation it is
to be designed to work on i fear.

>But I understand that you/we can get far enough by including the
>above items that it could be worth trying. I've voiced my opinion now so
>I'll concentrate my efforts on helping in what little way I can.

i like your stance.

tim