[linux-audio-dev] ragas and talas

Tim Goetze tim at quitte.de
Tue Dec 17 10:46:01 UTC 2002

David Gerard Matthews wrote:

>>[33] Over eighty-five percent of the ragas on the CDs have been
>>performed in tintal.

>Way off-topic: I wonder if that's due to western influence, since
>the 16 beats of tintal somewhat resemble the 4-bar 4/4 phrase of
>western music.

way off-topic, and way speculative: i think it simply is the
most pleasing way to divide musical time, and thus the most
common across musical cultures that have refined rhythmic
concepts. tintal is much older than techno en tout cas. ;)

> However, tintal can also be subdivided other ways, like 5+3+5+3,
>etc.

i don't think they'd do it like this in india; you can see in
the list of common talas that organizing the tala to different-
length subgroups implies a different character, and thus name.

tim