[linux-audio-dev] XAP: Strings and Raw Data Controls

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Wed Dec 18 06:34:01 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 18 December 2002 10.41, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 12:35:15 +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> > I'm leaning towards the "strings in raw data blocks" approach,
> > despite the little strlen() inconveniency for senders. Mostly
> > because it's one control data type less to care about, without
> > loss of real functionality.
>
> That sounds reasonable, we could require that strings (like
> filenames) are NULL terminated as well, for compatability with
> libc.

Yes, definitely. Strings must be NULL terminated, but data blocks for
controls not hinted as strings don't have to be.

Actually, strings and raw data blocks probably should be different
types in the metadata, as they're not compatible anyway. (Sending raw
data to a string control can result in a segfault.)

The point is to have them use the same infrastructure. Same events,
same memory management system, same semantics. String controls just
make some asumptions about the format of the data, whereas raw data
controls don't.