[linux-audio-dev] XAP: Plugin: "But I'm not ready!"

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Dec 18 12:15:01 UTC 2002

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 05:25:18PM +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> But then you have to stop the whole net along with the sequencer, as
> soon as you have one of those "non-instant" plugins in the net. The
> very point is to avoid that.

Effectivly you have to anyway.

Realigning all the plugins will take a non finite time, so you have to do
something while the're busy.

> Besides, this doesn't just happen when you activate a plugin, but
> could happen as soon as you move the transport, or change a control.
> Sure, it can be handled with control hints, saying these controls are
> not RT safe, but I think that's a bit restrictive.

Are you expecting that the graph will continue to execute while you're
waiting for the realignment? That seems a bit optomistic and not
particularly useful.

OTOH I'm not sure that a delay line (for example) can handle this usefully
at all, it can't prefill its buffers with the previous n seconds of audio
(which is what it would like to do), so all it can do is reset back to its
inital state (unhelpful and slow) or ignore it (even more unhelpful).

Its basicly just sequencers (ie. plugins with internal, temporal data)
that can do something useful with this, right?

- Steve