[linux-audio-dev] XAP: a polemic

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Wed Dec 18 13:26:00 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 18 December 2002 16.38, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 04:06:47PM +0100, Tim Goetze wrote:
> > i would love to have more musicians actively participate in
> > this list but there seem to be few.
>
> I would expect most people here are "musicians" to some degree.
> It'd be a pretty wierd thing to obsess about otherwise ;)

Hmm... Yes, that's a good point. There's probably a reason why we're
on this list. :-)

> > >I think fp arithmetics have more effect or accuracy than
> > > traditional ways of thinking about meters - but I must be
> > > wrong, then.
> >
> > they are simply not adequate in this context.
>
> In what way? Not expressive enough?
>
> I have an aversion to expressing anything like this as an int, for
> both artistic and technical reasons.

So do I. I may not be very trained in classic music and traditional
theory, but I'm quite serious about writing music, and do run into
various frustrating limitations every now and then. It's not like I'm
just *guessing* all the time, which seems to be what some think.