[linux-audio-dev] XAP: a polemic

Tim Hockin thockin at hockin.org
Wed Dec 18 13:26:29 UTC 2002

> Two standard float controls would work fine. Better, in fact, as you
> can handle defaults and presets without any special-casing at all.

That could work, too.  I want to be careful how much we expect the plugin
coder to do, though.

> > Use an int type.  who said to transform it to a float?
>
> Do we have int controls?
>
> Well, I do in my version, and my motivation is that you have 9 extra
> bits, compared to float32. This might matter a great deal when you
> actuall want an int.

my version has had ints from the start.

> BTW, how about making integer controls 64 bit? (*41* extra bits! :-)

Is there a justification?  32 bit CPUs are bad at 64 bit math.  Maybe a hint
that says INT64, otherwise assume int32 ?  Do we assume signed or unsigned?
having it be 64 bits means we need to deal with sign extension.

> It's no big deal in any way, because they can't be ramped (no event

They can be, it's just not so accurate.  If you want to swing between 0 and
1000 in one block, set a ramp event.

Tim