[linux-audio-dev] XAP: a polemic

Tim Hockin thockin at hockin.org
Thu Dec 19 00:46:00 UTC 2002

> Well, one loop is just fine for linear music editing, but what about
> interactive music? (The old, primitive approach, based on conditional
> jumps.)
>
> I was thinking one could generalize this by using N cue points
> (abstract objects) instead of hardcoded loop markers in the time
> info. Tell timeline aware plugins about them by sending events
> looking something like this:
>
> 	XAP_A_CUE_POINT
> 		int	id;
> 		double	position;

When does the host send this event?
When the transport position is moved, but play has not started yet?
When a loop-point is set (and it just stays forever until unset?)
Shortly before hitting a repeat marker (loop point)?

Not a bad little frill, if the semantics are clear.  Totally optional for
the host and plugin, but if they both do it, then it could be a nice
optimization.