[linux-audio-dev] XAP Time/Transport - varispeed/shuttle

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Thu Dec 19 08:48:01 UTC 2002

On Thursday 19 December 2002 04.33, Tim Hockin wrote:
> > The net result is that if tempo is 120 BPM and SPEED is 2.0, you
> > get fast forward at 240 BPM.
> >
> > Of course, you may run backwards and stuff that way as well, but
> > don't expect the synths to play sounds backwards... ;-)
>
> Sounds sane - and that implies negative tempo?

Yes.

> It's scary, but I
> guess correct...  Do we really want to deal with playing during
> shuttles?

Yes, I think so. If you've done some sequencing of music with long
notes (strings and stuff), I think you know how frustrating it can be
to play 6 bars just to hear if you got that edited note right... :-)

If you can just FFWD with playback to the place you're interested in,
samples and stuff may be out of sync, but at least, all the notes
will be there. (And the beat sync effects will be in sync, BTW. :-)

> The sequencer needs to send reversed ON/OFF events, but
> that's no big deal..

Yeah, that's what a MIDI sequencer has to do as well, if it supports
backwards playback at all. (Only seen "retrograde" edit functions so
far; never real time reverse playback.)

I'm not sure it should at all times, though. Some synths might
actually want to understand reverse playback - but then again, there
would still be missing information. (Note duration, history of pitch
control, etc...)