[linux-audio-dev] XAP: cue points / looping

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Thu Dec 19 12:57:00 UTC 2002

On Thursday 19 December 2002 18.37, Frank van de Pol wrote:
> David, thanks for the quick and elaborate explaination. I now
> understand your rationale.
>
> ++ votes for PCPs.
> -- votes for loop start/end.
>
> Otoh, knowing in advance when a loop will occur might be usefull
> for some applications (I can't really think of an good example, the
> best I can come up with is sample stretching over duration of loop)

Looping with a hard disk recorder would be a nice example. As I
explained, though, loop start + end depends on the user not changing
his/her mind too late, or too often. If you start toggling the
looping on and off before the loop ends, you'll most likely not get
proper playback whether looping is on or off when the end is passed!

With a PCP at the loop start, the HDR will just ignore your fooling
around with the looping switch, and just play all the way to the loop
end. Then, if looping is enabled when the end marker is hit, it just
starts playing from the PCP cache. If looping is disabled, it just
keeps playing.

> I love the concept of the READY signals to be connected by the user
> where needed.

Yeah, that's the idea with having most controls using the same
protocol and datatypes, basically.

What I'm envisionning is a system where the Control hints allows the
host to let users work on two levels: Cables and Wires.

If you connect a Cable from an output Channel of one plugin to an
input Channel of another, the host looks at the hints, and tries to
hook up everything that fits together. PITCH->PITCH,
VELOCITY->VELOCITY etc. This is for your average user, thinking in
terms of MIDI and monolith synths.

Now, if you want to do something unusual, just open up a Cable and
you can cut and reroute Wires in any way you like. This is probably
where modular synth folks will spend most of their time with
connections. (If they bother to use a host with the Cable abstraction
at all, that is. *This* is basically the real nature of the API.)