[linux-audio-dev] XAP: Tuning

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Thu Dec 19 16:28:00 UTC 2002

On Thursday 19 December 2002 21.38, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 08:01:57 +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> > What frequency does PITCH 0.0 correspond to?
> >
> > I assume this should be a fixed value, as "system finetune" can
> > be implemented in other ways. No need to have all synths keep
> > track of yet another parameter to convert PITCH into whatever
> > they need.
>
> I think that is actually a good way of implementing global tuning.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well, but I don't quite like the
extra "+ global_tuning" whenever you're doing pitch->frequency
conversion... Especially since you might as well have a "TUNING"
control on sequencers, scale converters or whatever you're using.

> It would be good to let the host provide the figure and the
> instruments can just pick it up. There may be reasons for
> particular values in particular hosts or styles. We could recommend
> Concert A as a default, as thats how most synths are tuned in my
> experience.
>
> Modular synth style modules generally ignore the global tuning
> anyway. They have there own 0.0v -> Hz mapping, set via a dial.

Well, we don't need to deliberately disconnect some kinds of plugins
from global tuning, do we? ;-)

> I dont see any point in specifying it as middle C.

No, anything works. Better have nice values, like 440 and 435.