[linux-audio-dev] 1.5 ms latency possible?

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Dec 31 14:27:00 UTC 2002

>So, my question to this list is if someone has run a similar system for
>days without underflows, and if there is some guide or tips on how to

speaking personally, i have not. moreover, i don't believe its
possible with the current kernel, and probably will not be for the
foreseeable future. there are too many corner cases in the kernel
where the OS steals the processor for too long when running with this
kind of latency.

>Is it even possible today to build an embedded system with 1.5 ms
>processing block based on Linux, which runs until hardware or power
>failure?

if its based on RTLinux or some other variant of that idea, then
yes. but based on the regular kernel+patches, no, i don't think so.

>	  Oh, my software does not necessarily need to access any
>filesystem while it is processing, although it would be good if it
>could (to continuously save volume settings and similar if changed
>through the remote control). So it can be seen as a strict
>soundcard-to-the-cpu-and-back problem.

nothing in a multiuser, multitasking non-RT OS is ever a "strict
soundcard-to-the-cpu-and-back" problem :))

--p