[linux-audio-dev] Interesting USB MIDI master keyboards, do t he work with Linux ?

Tim Goetze tim at quitte.de
Sat Nov 2 14:26:00 UTC 2002

Benno Senoner wrote:

>problems using them under Linux, but since USB has a much bigger bandwidth
>than serial MIDI, I that the timing for notes that belong to large chords  is
>more precise. Can someone confirm this ?

yes, bandwidth is sufficient but the host polls in 1 ms intervals
with usb < 2.0, so in effect you trade one evil for another.

>BTW: the Midiman site lists Linux as an OS in their driver search page but
>nothing comes up when searching for product drivers.

they mean the alsa drivers. in fact, my card came with alsa 0.5
sources on the CD. don't know about usb midi hw.

>Is their stance very closed ? Do  they not even release specs ?

the alsa folks seem to have good contact to them, but m-man will
not release specs to anyone.

tim