[linux-audio-dev] Re: Cheby amp code

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Mon Nov 4 13:07:01 UTC 2002

On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 04:06:53PM +0000, Steve Harris wrote:
> My current guess is different transfer functions. Do you know the phrase
> "when all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail" ;)

I'd bet money that they use different pre- and post- filters, too.
It's very instructive to play with this setup of effects pedals:

 graphic EQ -> distortion -> graphic EQ

For instance, giving a heavy pre-boost to the lows / low mids
will make the sound "fuzzier" but soften the attack.
Think 1970s metal... sabbath, dude!
The resulting mud can be somewhat reduced by lowering the
bass on the "post" EQ.

Conversely, cutting the pre bass, and boosting the post bass,
will result in a sound that still has a lot of low end
but has a much sharper attack.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com