[linux-audio-dev] anyone interested in porting a GPL'ed VST plugin?

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Nov 5 14:28:01 UTC 2002

>On Tue, 2002-11-05 at 15:55, Paul Davis wrote:
>> >Someone suggested LADSPA but I do not see an easy way to do it since  LADSP
>> > does not support MIDI and this seems a VST2 instrument.
>> feel the same way about MIDI in VST ie. that the host should convert
>> all MIDI data to plugin parameter changes and use a non-MIDI API for
>> note on/note off etc.
>
>are there any plugins / hosts which do this? i'm very interested since
>im currently rewriting amsynth as a plugin, and this sounds like it
>might just work, but it needs support.

ardour will bind any MIDI CC to any LADSPA parameter. it also maps
NoteOn/NoteOff to any LADSPA parameter, with the intent that it be
used to drive a switch. result: LADSPA has no clue about MIDI, but any
LADSPA plugin running inside ardour can be "completely controlled"
from MIDI.

you probably don't want to run amsynth in ardour, though.

ecamegapedal is more like the right kind of thing, but in truth i
think it would be a great project for someone to cook up something
like ecamegapedal that was oriented toward sound generating plugins,
rather than FX plugins. steinberg just released a realtime VST host
specifically to host VSTi's (instruments); ecamegapedal is cool, but a
JACK-ified LADSPA instrument host would be better yet.

--p