[linux-audio-dev] spiced 12AX7, plots, clipper.so

Tim Goetze tim at quitte.de
Fri Nov 8 12:59:01 UTC 2002

Steve Harris wrote:

>where f(x) is some function such that f(low) = low, f(1.0) = high,
>f'(low) = 1 and f'(1.0) = 0 [I'm too lazy to solve it, but its only a
>quadratic]

yeah, got the point. however with hi-gain input, there's only a
few samples between the lower and upper clipping threshold, so
i'm afraid it will not guarantee bandlimited operation. this is
largely based on intuition though.

probably the 'how to anti-alias a hard clipper' topic is more
of a music-dsp question.

>> for building a decent 'virtual amp', i imagine some combination
>> of Steve's excellent valve and valve_rect for a good, smooth
>> and warm lowish-gain tone, a bit of tunable eq and this kind of
>> hard-clipping for hi-gain, harsh distortion topped off with a
>> cabinet response will just about do it for me.
>
>Yup, thats sounds like its going to rule. Its not really fair to call the
>valve mine though, I just copied it from someones thesis!

you made the valve_rect though which helps a lot to get a good
attack for lo-gain inputs. (and besides, do you seriously want
to deny that you wrote these plugins? ;)

any hints for good pre- and post-eq? i'm planning to use one
lo-, 1 to n band- and one hi-pass.

i'll probably still do the integer-period saw wave recordings
unless you say you don't think we need those.

tim