[linux-audio-dev] Looking for some PR stuff related to Jack

Ivica Bukvic ico at fuse.net
Fri Nov 8 18:52:00 UTC 2002

Hi all,

I am currently writing an article talks (among other things) about Linux
as one of the currently viable pro-quality-audio platforms. I am trying
to get a hold of some specs in relation to JACK, so I'd appreciate it if
you can give me a quick rundown of the following information:

All of these pertain to ALSA or JACK:

1.) What is the lowest stable achievable latency with the current stable
(2.4) branch of the kernel (with ll and preempt patches) using Alsa on a
modern system (i.e. at least 1GHz machine)?

2.) What is the lowest stable achievable latency utilizing

app<--->jack<--->audio hw

kind of setup on a modern system (i.e. at least 1GHz machine) with the
current stable (2.4) branch of the kernel (with ll and preempt patches)
using Alsa?

I would appreciate it if you restrict your responses to simple numbers
(i.e.

1) 1.6ms
2) 2ms

)

since I do not have the time to have a discussion on this matter, but am
rather looking for a quick list of testimonials in regards to the two
given questions.

Thank you for your help! Sincerely,

Ivica Ico Bukvic, composer, multimedia sculptor,
programmer, webmaster & computer consultant
http://meowing.ccm.uc.edu/~ico/
"To be is to do"   - Socrates
"To do is to be"   - Sartre
"Do be do be do"   - Sinatra