[linux-audio-dev] Re: image problem [was Re: [Alsa-devel] help for a levelmeter]

Simon Jenkins sjenkins at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Nov 9 09:33:01 UTC 2002

Steve Harris wrote:

>On Sat, Nov 09, 2002 at 07:15:02AM +0000, Simon Jenkins wrote:
>

>>Audio-related examples might include things like:
>>
>>Making a multi effects rack unit with pro-audio i/o, a heap of DSP
>>power,  front panel display and controls, and filling it with the
>>pick of the available open source algorithms and/or making it
>>possible for people to compile and load whatever algorithms they
>>need into it.
>>

>Like the soundart chamelon http://www.soundart-hot.com/
>
>I've considered buying one a few times, but theres no supplied linux SDK,
>and I'm not desperatly fond of assembler, even DSP assembler which is
>comparativly nice.

That's exactly the kind of hardware I was thinking of... and exactly the
kind of
business model I *wasn't* thinking of.

Maybe they, or someone like them, could sell more hardware if they "let go"
of the software? (They'd certainly sell one to me). And that's how they
actually
make their money, right? By making hardware and selling it to people?

Simon Jenkins
(Bristol, UK)