[linux-audio-dev] Gigasampler vs Halion PR war

David Burrows snadge at ugh.net.au
Mon Nov 11 11:08:01 UTC 2002

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002, Paul Davis wrote:
> >Bottom line, screw them and their patent.  Let them send their lawyers
> >after you, who cares.
>
> their lawyers could potentially bankrupt you if what you were doing
> represented a threat to the income they expected to derive from the patent.
> if thats OK with you, please go ahead and violate the patent.

Well I guess I'm not anti-authoritarian and Australian for nothing.  What
ever happened to standing up for your freedom and rights.  Nothing, or
nobody should stop you or seek to punish you for releasing an open source
software based sampler not for profit.  That is surely a kind act of
generosity, not a law breaking action.

Send the source code to me and I will release it.  Why? Because I believe
what I said in the above paragraph is true.  It is immoral to have
software patents, not violate them.  Especially ones as absurdly simple as
this.  How could they proove that you did not come up with the idea
yourself?  Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

On the other hand.  Why not release the source code anonymously and claim
that you have nothing to do with it if you fear the consequences that
much.  How can you feel guilty about lieing about that, when they should
feel more guilty for patenting something so simple?

Regards,

David.

P.S. I was about to mention Timidity as a low latency midi controllable
sampler but then I remembered it loads all of its samples into RAM.