[linux-audio-dev] Gigasampler vs Halion PR war

Richard A. Smith rsmith at bitworks.com
Mon Nov 11 14:55:00 UTC 2002

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 19:26:20 +0000, Simon Jenkins wrote:

> The big boys might fight amongst themselves about this stuff at the
> moment, but if free software ever starts to seriously threaten them
> they could very quickly forget their differences, gang up, and start
> licensing the patents to/from each other.

I guess if that happened then it would be time to petition the OSS
community and the FSF and try to mount some sort of defense as that
would set a nasty precident.  I think the FSF was trying to do
something similar in the DeCSS case but that eneded up going nowhere
for them and so they dropped it.

> Does a patent get stronger if you're actually earning money from it?

I don't think so.. I think it takes actual review or court action.
At least there is nothing in the history docs I have about any
royalities.

--
Richard A. Smith                         Bitworks, Inc.
rsmith at bitworks.com               479.846.5777 x104