[linux-audio-dev] Re: image problem [was Re: [Alsa-devel] help for a levelmeter]

Richard Bown bownie at bownie.com
Tue Nov 12 13:42:00 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 12 November 2002 17:05, Len Moskowitz wrote:

> To attract commercial attention, a Linux audio application would have
> to offer either a unique feature (or group of features) that's
> commercially attractive or a significant customer base unreached by
> Windows/OS products.

I don't think so - the only thing a Linux audio app has to do is be sold
by someone.  Then we'll all be standing around here saying "Oh, why
didn't I think of that?"

When I started this thread (oh, way back when) I was bemoaning the fact
that Linux geeks were giving Linux software a bad name in the
uninitiated and indeed initiated Linux user community.  I still think
they do but now I don't think that's their fault or indeed their
problem.  Simply: Linux geeks shouldn't have to be selling Linux
software.  Linux salespeople should be selling Linux software.

I'm sorry if I was a bit slow here but before I didn't see it as a
simple case of demarkation.  We geeks should set aside our pride for
once and admit that we _don't_ actually know or can learn something and
work with our natural enemy (the sales and marketing people of this
world) if we want to make a Linux audio a commerical success.

And then we can all _really_ hate ourselves.