[linux-audio-dev] image problem

Taybin Rutkin trutkin at physics.clarku.edu
Tue Nov 12 17:12:00 UTC 2002

On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, Mark Knecht wrote:

> pieces, the audio stuff and the GUI, and I obey the GPL for that code, why
> does something that I write that links to it have to be GPL'ed? My code is
> my code. Paul's code is his. He's made the interface public. Does the GPL
> license really say that if someone tries to talk to a piece of GPL'ed code
> they have to make all of their work public also?

I'm not qualified to answer this, but my working definition is that the
LGPL specifically allows non-GPL programs to link to them.  Since this is
the main difference from the GPL, I infer that the GPL does not allow
this.

But it all depends on if something can be considered a derivative work.
And maybe static vs dynamic linking is involved also.  I'm confused now.
And I certainly didn't mean to morph the "image" thread into a GPL
discussion.  My apologies.

Taybin
-- http://www.piratesvsninjas.com