[linux-audio-dev] image problem

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Nov 13 12:25:01 UTC 2002

>   Let me ask another question in this area. Could someone explain the
>implications of GPL/LGPL WRT proprietary applications that interface to Alsa
>& Jack, along with their incumbent support programs like kaconnect and
>qjackconnect?

alsa-lib is LGPL'ed, as is libjack. proprietary software can use these
libraries with no implications for their own code. if they choose to,
or need to, make changes in the LGPL'ed library code, those changes
must be made available under the LGPL.

>   If Jack and Alsa were pushed in technical business development circles as
>a way for Company A to enter the Linux market and be able to work together
>with other existing applications, do the GPL/LGPL licenses of Alsa & Jack
>create issues for Company A's proprietary code base?

not unless they have lawyers who don't understand this stuff.

>   I see the open nature of Linux as best exemplified in the lower level
>portions of the audio stack, and less so at the application level for the
>reasons we've been discussing. As a person who is in business, but not in
>this area, I have suspicions that these are the issues that are keeping
>retail applications out of the Linux markets.

a web page on the ardour site says:

  "Your participation in the development and use of Ardour can help
  bring to the audio world the same kinds of benefits that open source
  development have accrued to the world of web servers. The most
  widely use web server ("apache") contains code written by hundreds
  if not thousands of people, and has been subject to continual
  evolution and improvement. By contributing cash, comments, insight,
  code, feedback or even just enthusiasm, you will help keep the
  project moving forward towards a day when the best DAW is open for
  everyone to study, improve and most of all, use and enjoy."

*that's* what "open" means to me. i don't care how good ProTools (or
Nuendo or Paris or ...) is - i could always find ways to make it
better if i had the source code. the same applies to almost ever other
proprietary audio software out there (1).  but i can't get the source
code, so part of the promise of what we are doing here is to create
the necessary cultural artifacts necessary to move at least some
significant chunk of the audio software field towards this kind of
"open".

yes, it will be very hard to make (significant) money via traditional
retail channels with this sort of stuff. thats OK, i think.

--p

(1) there are a few exceptions. a recent one might be the Native Instruments'
    FM7, which strikes me as just about perfect in every way.