[linux-audio-dev] mpu401 fifo scheduling on linux2.4.18

Bruce M Beach brucemartinbeach at 21cn.com
Fri Nov 22 08:17:01 UTC 2002

On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, Frank van de Pol wrote:
> Hi Bruce,
> the cmpci cards have the same hardware design error as the older soundblaster
> cards (eg. SB16/AWE64). The cards lack the ability to generate interrupts.....

> If you want to drive your external MIDI gear, just use an interface which
> has a decent MIDI port. In case you do not have the option to fix the ...
> ....... a high (2 kHz) timer frequency instead of the standard 100 Hz.
> Frank.

   Hello Frank

     Thanks for the reply. Just for fun, I downloaded the alsa code and tried
     the midi fifo (midiC0D0), and got fairly chaotic results, which I suspect
     was due to the 'timer' frequency, which I don't really understand what
     it is. As far as the lack of an interupt goes for the card, upon reflection
     I would imagine writeing a polling type driver for a multitasking system
     as something of a hideous nightmare. Fortunately I am not stuck with
     the cmipci card. I can replace it. I also have another option which I like
     better. The korg has a jack for a standard serial port which I'll try to
     hook up.

   Bruce