[linux-audio-dev] meterbridge 0.0.4

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Oct 1 05:18:00 UTC 2002

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 06:01:06 +0200, Joern Nettingsmeier wrote:
> when i start an instance of meters jackd sometimes complains:
> 	cannot create new client; bridge already exists
> 	cannot complete new client connection process

That is just becuase it tried to connect as brdige, and if it cant tries
bridge-<pid>

> i also found it's advisable to re-start jack after a meter crash,
> otherwise things get fishy (alsaplayer loses its jack connection during
> meter startup and there are random crashes of jackd, alsaplayer and
> meters).

Thats bad. In the stderr output, does it look like the meter manages to
clean up after isself?

> the restoring of connections on exit succeeds almost always except when
> it segfaults (which i can't seem to reproduce reliably). i closed some
> of my 12 meters in random order, and the port connections were always
> restored correctly. only sometimes it makes alsaplayer time out and
> reconnect to jack, and all meters freeze - is that what one would expect
> when the source is gone, or should they just drop to zero ?

No, they will freeze, making then return to zero would require more logic,
so I didn't do it ;)

> one minor problem: when you have multiple meters running and "killall"
> them, things seem to happen in the wrong order, i.e. the port chain
> breaks. but i don't see how meterbridge could avoid that, unless there
> is a way to make the port restoration atomic.

Yeah, thats not fixable. Making them not crash is probably better.
I'd like to get to the bottom of your segfual problem. I though id
probably fixed it.

> the input however i can't seem to get to work at all. it comes up,
> displays a signal for maybe half a second, then bails out:

Thats bizarre.

> > If you run too many (8+) then things start to get dodgy, jack carries on
> > running, but you can't quit meters. I don't know why.
>
> can't reproduce this.

OK, well my jackd had been running for several hours, maybe bitrot had set
in.

> i guess we really ruined your day on #lad yesterday >;->

:) no its bette than releaseing versions that will fail embarasingly

- Steve