[linux-audio-dev] Final Scratch, custom kernel?

robbins jacob jacobrobbins_ at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 6 18:22:01 UTC 2002

has anyone looked at the distribution of linux that FinalScratch comes with?
I read on their website that you basically install their distribution of
linux and use it, along with their program for selecting audio files, to
play their electronic turntables. I'm just wondering if there was anything
in particular they tweaked for realtime response or if they used the same
low-latency patches as the rest of us?

In case you've never seen it in action, final scratch is a record sized disc
that you place on a turntable that reports it exact position to some sort of
computer interface. The position signal is then used to control playback of
audio files (pcm or mp3) on the computer. You load a file into the program
and mark a certain point as the current point on the record and then the
playback and cueing of the file can be done entirely on a regular turntable
as if you were playing a record. Given that this is just a piece of
hardware, I'm wondering what would stop you from hooking up the hardware to
a regular version of linux.....
besides using a proprietary interface i mean.

--jacob robbins:::::::