[linux-audio-dev] Needing advice on implementing MIDI in my app (RTMix)

Nick Bailey n.j.bailey at elec.gla.ac.uk
Fri Oct 11 14:40:01 UTC 2002

On Friday 11 Oct 2002 11:11 am, you wrote:

> All data transmission is done using UDP so yes, it uses
> TCP/IP.  On a private LAN latencies and packet loss should

eh?

> not be a problem.  On my LAN at home I've not had a dropped
> packet and at work with a very saturated 10mbit segment
> we've only had problems when we start scp'ing Debian ISO's
> around the lab at the same time.  DMIDI isn't meant for use
> over the Internet though.

I think he meant TCP *instead* of UDP. DMIDI's
connectionless, isn't it, Phil?

I can vouch for the performance. Phil hardly noticed in the
lab when I was downloading 1.5GB powerpc images on 6 macs at
a time from a server on the same subnet: those UDP packets
kept getting through! I have also witnessed the Palm Pilot
client driving a midi device over its IR into a mobile phone
and through a ISP!! (although as Phil said, I guess he never
intended it to be used that way!)

Nick/
--
Dr Nick Bailey <n.j.bailey at elec.gla.ac.uk>
Centre for Music Technology (http://cmt.gla.ac.uk)

Find my public key at http://www.keyserver.net
Fingerprint: 9ED7 6063 C1F7 A0FB 2F7E D2F6 168F A41A 6527 CE44