[linux-audio-dev] [OT] 2.5.41 performance (was: Meterbridge 0.0.5)

Peter L Jones peter at drealm.org.uk
Fri Oct 11 15:42:01 UTC 2002

On Thursday 10 Oct 2002 23:21, Joern Nettingsmeier wrote:
[snip]
> alsaplayer dies after i insert the second or third meter instance, but
> then i'm running 2.5.41 right now, and it seems to have some scheduling
> problems (i'm not even sure i correctly selected kernel pre-emption, so
> ignore me).
[snip]

> jörn
jörn,

Ah, that's reassuring... in its own way.  2.5.41bk3 seems to be a little less
hoggy than 2.5.41 (release).  I was finding that 2.5.41 was _very_ good at
giving tasks to the CPU but not so good at getting I/O from user input, while
bk3 restores the balance a little.  (I've a USB mouse and it was far worse
than 2.4.19-ck5-rl for jittering.)  ALSA sound i/o (timidity-based sequencer
so exercising both pcm and midi) is not _bad_, though - worse than
2.4.19-ck5-rl, but not bad.

-- Peter