[linux-audio-dev] waveform overview

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Oct 14 05:12:00 UTC 2002

You just store the peak amplitudes (+ve and -ve sepratly) for every N
samples.

I think typically you have two seperate peak files, eg. one for every 2^8
samples and one for every 2^16.

The eqivalent in large images uses one "peakfile" for every power of two,
but audio people seem to be more conservative - for one thing scaling
audio is much cheaper.

You could look at sweep, snd, ardour, audacity etc. to see how it is done.

- Steve