[linux-audio-dev] soft synth as a plugin

Tim Goetze tim at quitte.de
Fri Oct 18 10:06:01 UTC 2002

Steve Harris wrote:

>Hmmm... My experiments with c++, dsp code and gcc (recent 2.96) did not
>turn out very well. For some reason the optimiser totaly chokes on c++
>code. I only tried one routine, and I'm no c++ expert, so its possible I
>screwed something up, but it did not look encouraging. I will revisit this
>and also try gcc3, which has much better c++ support IIRC.

from my experience the contrary is true. last time i checked the
assembly code produced by -O3 i found nothing to object to. that
was g++ 2.95 compiling drawing routines on rgb buffers (just ints,
no floats, but comparable to audio dsp in a way).

i admit i designed the code around what i expected the optimizer
to do to it, so yes, maybe you need a little experience to get it
right.

tim