[linux-audio-dev] soft synth as a plugin

David Gerard Matthews dgm4+ at pitt.edu
Sat Oct 19 11:47:01 UTC 2002

Steve Harris wrote:

>On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 08:34:20 +0100, nick wrote:
>
>>indeed, for a plugin soft-synth, it would only ever make sense to write
>>it in c/c++ or assembler really, a question of speed. Are there really
>>people who seriously want to write a synth in aynthing else?
>>

>Of course, plenty of MacOS audio software is written in Max/MSP (a
>relative of pd). There is also some Windows software written in Sync -
>both are graphical languages.
>
>- Steve

Although all the actual DSP objects themselves in MSP are written in C,
just like
in pd and jMax.  I don't know about Sync (don't know much about it), but
I suspect
that to also be the case there as well.  The point is that all the
actual number
crunching code is in fact written in C, even if you use a very
high-level object-oriented
graphical language like Max/MSP to build the app.
OTOH, CLM is written in Lisp, (hence the name), and some modern Lisps
(i.e. CMUCL)
claim to be as fast as C for floats.  So I suppose you could write DSP
code in Lisp if you
really wanted to.
-dgm