[linux-audio-dev] [ann] unmatched - a LADSPA amp tone

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Oct 22 07:45:01 UTC 2002

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 03:09:52AM +0200, Tim Goetze wrote:
> on average, the branched truncate costs more in this filter
> than simply ignoring denormals. for this particular filter,
> there doesn't seem to be a good reason to switch to floats
> at least on the system i use. if i was pressed for a rule,
> i'd say use doubles unless you need to store lots of them.

No, there is no good reason to switch to floats here. I havn't found that
doubles are generally better than floats though - but I also dont have a
way of prediciting it either. It would save be a lot of time if I did.

> currently, i'm looking at what a sine wave looks like after
> it's been handled by a good distortion stomp box. the way it
> shapes the wave form seems easy to grasp, but as usual, i
> am hesitant to implement what i don't understand fully ...

I've found that the precise shape of the transfer function is important to
the sound, do you have a model for the transfer function or are you just
going to smaple it?

> the recording seems to be of decent quality, and the iir
> response irons away most of the noise anyway. but the most
> important thing is i like the sound of it, which i do a lot.
> i've tried about every of your impulses and, would you
> believe it, liked the fenders the least. i regularly play
> a fender super 60, for ten years or so. :) got to take
> a response from it someday myself.

Sadly heres where my zero knowledge of amps kicks in ;) I wouldn't know a
fender form a hole in the ground.

> >I'm wondering if this technique can be used for reverbs too - generate a
> >purely "white" synthetic reverb tail, and apply an IIR the aproximate
> >shape of the rooms impulse to it to make it sound more real...
>
> very interesting thought indeed. do you have a good response
> for trying this? (sorry, "steve's flat" doesn't qualify,
> "albert hall" is more like it ;)

I have some, but there not included because there 1) very long 2) legally
dubious. I dont think that deriving an EQ curve form them can be dodgy
though - the hard part is more likly to be getting a purly white reverb -
I suspect that all those allpass's and combs dont even out very well.

PS "Steve's flat" was captured with a half knackered monitor and a three
quarters knackered mic. I should probably do it again, as I have moved :)

- Steve