[linux-audio-dev] Re: image problem [was Re: [Alsa-devel] help for a levelmeter]

Kai Vehmanen kai.vehmanen at wakkanet.fi
Tue Oct 22 07:59:01 UTC 2002

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Paul Davis wrote:

> JACK *isn't* intended for general use, and i get tired of suggestions
> that it should be. there are lots of people working on solutions for
> "general use". JACK is intended for people who are serious about
> audio.

I'd like to add that not all JACK developers are as strict about this as
Paul ;), but it's true that something more concrete than
suggestions/requests are needed.  Technical proposals that extend JACK's
usability without sacrificing the low-latency and synchronous-execution
qualities, are very welcome. I don't think this is an impossible task.

Btw; I also think the continuous flow of negative-ish comments concerning
JACK is a bit unreasonable. There are still lots of work to be done in the
low-latency area and this work of course has top-priority for current
development team.

> audio interfaces, its not intended to do so. if you can't run JACK at
> all, you basically have a box that wouldn't run an ASIO device driver
> under windows or macos. there's not much we can do about that except
> to point you at kernel adjustments (like hdparm) and ask that you
> check other mailing lists to see if your audio interface, video
> interface, etc. are known to be horrible in some respect.

And I think you can run JACK using pretty much any ALSA-supported
soundcard. It's just that we cannot guarantee good performance or flawless
operation in these cases. These cards will also cause problems to other
applications. It's just that JACK makes these problems much more explicit.

> JACK is not yet finished, and it has some definite usability issues
> that need to be resolved. but it is not, and i hope will never be
> (primarily) a general purpose sound server.

In other words, development&testing help is welcome!

--
 http://www.eca.cx
 Audio software for Linux!