[linux-audio-dev] Re: image problem [was Re: [Alsa-devel] help for a levelmeter]

Len Moskowitz vze24hrw at verizon.net
Tue Oct 22 11:49:00 UTC 2002

Patrick wrote:

>  >If you will be making money from a Linux-based product, then you
>  >*should* be investing your own money for promotion.
>
> I am. What's your point?

Other people (people who are not in business) need not and likely won't
invest money to promote Linux Audio.

People here invest their time and effort (but usually not money for
promotion), mostly because they're techies who want to to build something
that they really need/want.  Businesses invest money for another reason,
because they want to develop and promote commercial products.  They're
mostly two different worlds (though there is crossover).

> I have a small business and there are others out there in similar
> positions. We don't have the financial resources to fund large scale ad
> campaigns on our own. But we do if we work together.

Perhaps there's no need to promote Linux Audio; perhaps instead there is a
need to promote useful products.  If those products happen to need Linux
(and ALSA & Jack) as a foundation, then Linux will get promoted as a side
effect of successful products.  Much like MacOS.

So if you want Linux Audio to be promoted, either make broadly useful
products or assist the companies that want to turn your work into broadly
useful products.

Len Moskowitz
Owner, Core Sound
http://www.core-sound.com